Allowing regular identifiers in isolationtester scripts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Allowing regular identifiers in isolationtester scripts
Date: 2021-06-16 16:45:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[ new subject, new thread, new patch ]

> On 2021-Jun-16, Tom Lane wrote:
>> BTW, as long as we're thinking of back-patching nontrivial specfile
>> changes, I have another modest proposal. What do people think of
>> removing the requirement for step/session names to be double-quoted,
>> and instead letting them work like SQL identifiers?

> Yes *please*.

Here's a draft patch for that. I converted one specfile just as
proof-of-concept, but I don't want to touch the rest until the other
patch has gone in, or I'll have merge problems. (This'll have some
merge problems with that anyway I fear, but they'll be minor.)

I decided to follow the standard SQL rule that you can use "foo""bar"
to include a double-quote in a quoted identifier. This broke one
place in test_decoding's oldest_xmin.spec where somebody had left out
a space. So maybe there's an argument for not doing that --- but I'd
rather not document more inconsistencies than I have to.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
isolationtest-standard-identifiers-wip.patch text/x-diff 8.5 KB