Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Bernier" <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-28 18:51:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 8/28/07, Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca> wrote:
> How about a vote?
>
> How many people feel we should adopt 'postgres' for the '9.0' reference documentation (let's leave the issue of the tons of work involved out of the debate for the moment)?

0 (abstain)

While I do think that 'Postgres' has advantages over 'PostgreSQL',
I don't think we should drop PostgreSQL. Something which is
defacto already happening, as usually the default database is
'postgres', user is 'postgres' and so on. At the same time I wouldn't
want package maintainers to change package name from 'postgresql'
to 'postgres' [again]. I wouldn't want Sun to need to update brochures
that they support Postgres (formerly known as PostgreSQL).

Personally I would like to use names 'PostgreSQL Relational Database
Managament System', short form: Postgres with PostgreSQL as an
acceptable, though deprecated, alternative.

Regards,
Dawid