Re: [HACKERS] [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Lukas Smith" <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-20 12:29:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On 5/20/06, Lukas Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org> wrote:
> The improvements to the installer are great, but there simply needs to
> be a packaged solution that adds more of the things people are very
> likely to use. From my understanding Bizgres goes in that direction? I
> just think that whatever highly packaged solution PostgreSQL picks, this
> should be the download that is pushed at conferences, in articles and
> books. People with a clue will still know where they can get the clean base.

Hmm, a Comprehensive PostgreSQL Archive Network? ;)

I mean, something like CPAN, CTAN or CRAN? :)

I mean, the -contrib is great, but pushing other things there is a bit
tricky (to say the least) from the maintenance point of view. (Every
bugfix, a new release of -contrib, etc, etc...).

Then again PGfoundry is great to keep development centered, but
finding and building a new package is not really a one-liner, and
if you're unlucky you might get alpha-quality code installed. :)

I think a CPgAN-like solution would be the best. A uniform method
of getting approved Pg extensions. It would simplify installing the
extensions, and would encourage distributions to package such
extensions. Somebody suggested apt-get install postgresql-contrib.
Imagine:
apt-get install postgresql-datatype-fqdn
apt-get install postgresql-gist-ltree
...and so on.

Regards,
Dawid