Re: Time to start the PR machine

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date: 2005-09-21 09:01:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 9/20/05, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> > I always learned it was a grammar thing, and that the serial comma
> should
> > always be included to prevent ambiguity. Even Strunk and White says so.
> > The only place that omits them anymore is US newspapers, and even there
> it
> > is finally dying out. Since this is a global press release, I say we add
> > that final serial comma in, and weather the storm of angry newspaper
> > editors. ;)
>
> Well, it's not a grammar thing; it's a style thing. However, I don't care
> that much personally, so I'm fine with putting them in if other people
> care.

The funny thing is that many (most) other European languages seems to
go for treating "and" equivalents as a comma substitute. I.e. in Polish
would be "8-way, 16-way i multi-core". There are other dissimilarities
I guess, for instance handling of commas and stops inside quotes -- if I am
correct, one should write like "an example quotation." Putting a full stop
inside the quotes. English always was different. ;)))

Ah, and personally I would be probably for writing the text grammatically
correct, even if that grammar may seem slightly illogical for me.

Regards,
Dawid