Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-05-03 09:46:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 5/2/05, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> What we can do in PostgreSQL is to introduce an application-level
> heartbeat. A simple "Hello world" message sent from server to client that
> the client would ignore would do the trick.

Hmm, a quick-and-dirty implementation could be that a client issues
"LISTEN heartbeat;" command, and there would be other client issuing
"NOTIFY heartbeat;" every few minutes. I am not sure but this would
probably make server send out these messages to the client, regardless
of whether the client is doing something or not. Again, I am not sure.
Ah, and probably so many NOTIFY messages wouldn't be very nice for
system tables.

Regards,
Dawid