Re: [HACKERS] Automatically setting work_mem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Automatically setting work_mem
Date: 2006-04-22 17:17:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> I still do, for multi-user systems. Releasing unused memory from a large
> CREATE INDEX will allow that memory to be swapped out, even if the brk
> point can't be changed.

Say what? It can get "swapped out" anyway, whether we free() it or not.

More to the point, though: I don't believe that the proposed patch is a
good idea --- it does not reduce the peak sortmem use, which I think is
the critical factor for a multiuser system, and what it does do is
reduce the locality of access to the sort temp file during the merge
phases. That will definitely have some impact; maybe small, but some;
and I don't see where the benefit comes in.