Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed
Date: 2020-12-02 22:18:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/2/20 5:13 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 10:51 AM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
>>>
>>> As of quite recently, Travis CI doesn't seem to like cfbot's rate of
>>> build jobs. Recently it's been taking a very long time to post
>>> results for new patches and taking so long to get around to retesting
>>> patches for bitrot that the my "delete old results after a week" logic
>>> started wiping out some results while they are still the most recent,
>>> leading to the blank spaces where the results are supposed to be.
>>> D'oh. I'm looking into a couple of options.
>>
>> pgBackRest test runs have gone from ~17 minutes to 3-6 hours over the
>> last two months.
>
> Ouch.

Yeah.

>> Also keep in mind that travis-ci.org will be shut down at the end of the
>> month. Some users who have migrated to travis-ci.com have complained
>> that it is not any faster, but I have not tried myself (yet).
>
> Oh.

Yeah.

>> Depending on how you have Github organized migrating to travis-ci.com
>> may be bit tricky because it requires full access to all private
>> repositories in your account and orgs administrated by your account.
>
> I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI. All other ideas welcome.

We're leaning towards Github actions ourselves. The only thing that
makes us want to stay with Travis (at least for some tests) is the
support for the ppc64le, arm64, and s390x architectures. s390x in
particular since it is the only big-endian architecture we have access to.

Regards,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net