Re: NULL becomes default

From: Sumeet <asumeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Julian Scarfe" <julian(at)avbrief(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NULL becomes default
Date: 2006-08-17 18:22:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Julian u need to reset your sequence, i had run through the same problem.

On 8/17/06, Julian Scarfe <julian(at)avbrief(dot)com> wrote:

> A surrogate key has been introduced on a table with modifiers:
>
> Column | Type |
> Modifiers
>
> -------------+-----------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------
> new_id | integer | not null default
> nextval(('some_id_seq'::text)::regclass)
>
> However, some legacy software inserts into the table by first getting
> column
> names and then composing an INSERT for all the columns, filling in any
> undefined values with NULLs.
>
> Thus when it attempts to insert a row I get a:
>
> ERROR: null value in column "new_id" violates not-null constraint

To fix this, you need to do something like:

SELECT setval('public.fdata _fid_seq', max(fid)+1) FROM fdata;
This will make sure that the next *value* your *sequence* generates is
greater than any key that already exists in the table.

--
Thanks,
Sumeet.