Re: executor relation handling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: executor relation handling
Date: 2018-10-06 18:59:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> On 2018/10/05 5:59, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So I'm inclined to just omit 0003. AFAICS this would only mean that
>> we couldn't drop the global PlanRowMarks list from PlannedStmt, which
>> does not bother me much.

> To be honest, I too had begun to fail to see the point of this patch since
> yesterday. In fact, getting this one to pass make check-world took a bit
> of head-scratching due to its interaction with EvalPlanQuals EState
> building, so I was almost to drop it from the series. But I felt that it
> might still be a good idea to get rid of what was described as special
> case code. Reading your argument against it based on how it messes up
> some of the assumptions regarding ExecRowMark design, I'm willing to let
> go of this one as more or less a cosmetic improvement.

OK. We do need to fix the comments in InitPlan that talk about acquiring
locks and how that makes us need to do things in a particular order, but
I'll go take care of that.

> So, that leaves us with only the patch that revises the plan node fields
> in light of having relieved the executor of doing any locking of its own
> in *some* cases. That patch's premise is that we don't need the fields
> that the patch removes because they're only referenced for the locking
> purposes. But, if those plan nodes support parallel execution and hence
> will be passed to parallel workers for execution who will need to lock the
> tables contained in the plan nodes, then they better contain all the
> information needed for locking *every* affected tables, so we had better
> not removed it.

No, I think this is unduly pessimistic. We need to make sure that a
parallel worker has lock on tables it's actually touching, but I don't
see why that should imply a requirement to hold lock on parent tables
it never touches.

The reasons why we need locks on tables not physically accessed by the
query are (a) to ensure that we've blocked, or received sinval messages
for, any DDL related to views or partition parent tables, in case that
would invalidate the plan; (b) to allow firing triggers safely, in
the case of partition parent tables. Neither of these issues apply to
a parallel worker -- the plan is already frozen before it can ever
start, and it isn't going to be firing any triggers either.

In particular, I think it's fine to get rid of
ExecLockNonLeafAppendTables. In the parent, that's clearly useless code
now: we have already locked *every* RTE_RELATION entry in the rangetable,
either when the parser/rewriter/planner added the RTE to the list to begin
with, or during AcquireExecutorLocks if the plan was retrieved from the
plancache. In a child it seems unnecessary as long as we're locking the
leaf rels we actually touch.

Possibly, we might fix the problem of inadequate locking in worker
processes by having them do the equivalent of AcquireExecutorLocks, ie
just run through the whole RT list and lock everything. I think we'd soon
end up doing that if we ever try to allow parallelization of non-read-only
queries; but that's a long way off AFAIK. For read-only queries it seems
like it'll be fine if we just rejigger ExecGetRangeTableRelation to take a
lock when IsParallelWorker.