Noticed a Bug with stored procedures

From: "Gudala, Sridhar (GE EntSol, Intelligent Platforms)" <Sridhar(dot)Gudala(at)ge(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Noticed a Bug with stored procedures
Date: 2010-03-22 12:01:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I have a question in PostGreSQL, please go through below mail:

When I send update query command from front end then PostGreSql is
responding with number of rows affected. But when I send same update
query which is embedded in stored procedure (as listed below) then
PostGreSql doesn't respond with a value of -1.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION samplepro5(deptid int)
RETURNS void AS
$BODY$
UPDATE EmailLoginUsers SET LoginID = 'abc(at)sample(dot)com Where
UserCheckedMailID = $1;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE
COST 100;

>From front end, I have called above listed stored procedure by using
below listed code:

objNpgSQLCommand.CommandText = "samplepro5";

objNpgSQLCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;

NpgsqlParameter objParameter;

objparameter.ParameterName = "deptid";

objparameter.NpgsqlDbType = NpgsqlTypes.NpgsqlDbType.Integer;

objparameter.Value = 1;

objparameter.Direction = ParameterDirection.Input;

objNpgSQLCommand.Parameters.Add(objParameter);

int numberOfAffectedRows = objNpgSQLCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

After excuting above code, the value of numberOfAffectedRows was -1 but
database was updated with one record.

Please tell me what's wrong.

Thanks,

Sridhar G