Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] [HACKERS] Reducing buildfarm disk usage: remove temp installs when done

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PGBuildFarm <pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] [HACKERS] Reducing buildfarm disk usage: remove temp installs when done
Date: 2015-01-21 05:43:53
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

> On 01/20/2015 10:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Erm ... no patch attached?

> Oh, darn. Here it is.

I've applied this on dromedary, and it definitely makes a nice dent
in the at-rest space consumption for a full set of branches. The old
data directory contents were

$ du -hsc pgmirror.git HEAD REL*
418M pgmirror.git
367M HEAD
348M REL9_0_STABLE
353M REL9_1_STABLE
356M REL9_2_STABLE
360M REL9_3_STABLE
277M REL9_4_STABLE
2.4G total

Post-patch, with a freshly created data directory (including a
fresh clone from the git server), I've got

$ du -hsc pgmirror.git HEAD REL*
167M pgmirror.git
107M HEAD
86M REL9_0_STABLE
91M REL9_1_STABLE
95M REL9_2_STABLE
100M REL9_3_STABLE
105M REL9_4_STABLE
753M total

It appears that the peak transient space consumption while building a
branch is about 500MB. In addition to these numbers, I've got a shade
under 1GB in ccache space (that's configurable of course, but by default
ccache will eat up to that much). So the total disk space to run a
buildfarm member with ccache was something close to 4GB with the old way,
2.25GB with this patch.

(These numbers aren't totally comparable of course, since the year-old
installation had acquired some git repo bloat which this one hasn't
had time to yet. But any way you slice it, I've saved well more than
1GB of space.)