How to execute a system command inside a SQL statement

From: developer_student <juamagb1(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to execute a system command inside a SQL statement
Date: 2006-11-23 22:13:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all!

I want to execute 'java MyApp' everytime one row is inserted on a table.
What is the correct function to do it?

I want something like this:

CREATE TRIGGER executeJava
AFTER INSERT ON mytable
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
SYSTEM('java MyApp');
END;

I suppose SYSTEM('java MyApp') is not correct syntax. What is the correct
syntax to get it? Sorry, I'm relatively new on PostgreSQL.

Anyone can help me, please?
Thank you in advance.