Re: Deadlock in XLogInsert at AIX

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: "REIX, Tony" <tony(dot)reix(at)atos(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Deadlock in XLogInsert at AIX
Date: 2017-02-01 15:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tony,

On 01.02.2017 18:42, REIX, Tony wrote:

> Hi Konstantin
>
> *XLC.*
>
> I'm on AIX 7.1 for now.
>
> I'm using this version of *XL**C v13*:
>
> # xlc -qversion
> IBM XL C/C++ for AIX, V13.1.3 (5725-C72, 5765-J07)
> Version: 13.01.0003.0003
>
> With this version, I have (at least, since I tested with "check" and
> not "check-world" at that time) 2 failing tests: create_aggregate ,
> aggregates .
>

> With the following *XLC v12* version, I have NO test failure:
>
> # /usr/vac/bin/xlc -qversion
> IBM XL C/C++ for AIX, V12.1 (5765-J02, 5725-C72)
> Version: 12.01.0000.0016
>

> So maybe you are not using XLC v13.1.3.3, rather another sub-version.
> Unless you are using more options for the configure ?
>

> *Configure*.
>
> What are the options that you give to the configure ?

export CC="/opt/IBM/xlc/13.1.3/bin/xlc"
export CFLAGS="-qarch=pwr8 -qtune=pwr8 -O2 -qalign=natural -q64 "
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-bbigtoc,-b64"
export AR="/usr/bin/ar -X64"
export LD="/usr/bin/ld -b64 "
export NM="/usr/bin/nm -X64"
./configure --prefix="/opt/postgresql/xlc-debug/9.6"

> *Hard load & 64 cores ?* OK. That clearly explains why I do not see
> this issue.
>

> *pgbench ?* I wanted to run it. However, I'm still looking where to
> get it plus a guide for using it for testing.

pgbench is part of Postgres distributive (src/bin/pgbench)

> I would add such tests when building my PostgreSQL RPMs on AIX. So any
> help is welcome !
>

> *Performance*.
>
> - Also, I'd like to compare PostgreSQL performance on AIX vs
> Linux/PPC64. Any idea how I should proceed ? Any PostgreSQL
> performance benchmark that I could find and use ? pgbench ?

pgbench is most widely used tool simulating OLTP workload. Certainly it
is quite primitive and its results are rather artificial. TPC-C seems to
be better choice.
But the best case is to implement your own benchmark simulating actual
workload of your real application.

> - I'm interested in any information for improving the performance &
> quality of my PostgreSQM RPMs on AIX./(As I already said, BullFreeware
> RPMs for AIX are free and can be used by anyone, like Perzl RPMs
> are//.////My compa//ny (ATOS/Bull) sells IBM Power machines under the
> Escala brand s//ince ages (25 years this year)//)/.
>

> *How to help ?*
>
> How could I help for improving the quality and performance of
> PostgreSQL on AIX ?

We still have one open issue at AIX: see
https://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg303094.html
It will be great if you can somehow help to fix this problem.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company