psql remote shell command

From: Dennis <dennisr(at)visi(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql remote shell command
Date: 2016-06-02 23:30:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Is it possible to execute command in on system the is hosting postgresql remotely using psql or other mechanism? I know I can use \! in psql but that executes the commands on the host where I am running psql from. Also, is it possible for a postgres login/user to stop or restart a running postgres instance from in side psql or similar client. e.g. psql -c “pg_ctl stop -D some_data_dir”