Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-05 00:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> * Can we build a "configuration wizard" to tell newbies what settings
>> they need to tweak?

> That would trump all the other suggestions conclusively. Anyone good at
> expert systems?

How far could we get with the answers to just three questions:

* How many concurrent queries do you expect to have?

* How much RAM space are you willing to let Postgres use?

* How much "overhead" disk space are you willing to let Postgres use?

concurrent queries drives max_connections, obviously, and RAM space
would drive shared_buffers and effective_cache_size, and both of them
would be needed to size work_mem. The third one is a bit weird but
I don't see any other good way to set the checkpoint parameters.

If those aren't enough questions, what else must we ask? Or maybe they
aren't the right questions at all --- maybe we should ask "is this a
dedicated machine or not" and try to extrapolate everything else from
what we (hopefully) can find out about the hardware.