Re: So git pull is shorthand for what exactly?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: So git pull is shorthand for what exactly?
Date: 2010-10-01 19:14:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 10/01/2010 01:23 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> If you want that as a default behaviour:
>> "For example, to default to pushing only the current branch to origin use git
>> config remote.origin.push HEAD. Any valid<refspec> (like the ones in the
>> examples below) can be configured as the default for git push origin."

> It's just occurred to me that this might be a slightly dangerous
> setting.

Well, in any case the default behavior of pushing all branches seems
like a good plan for my purposes. If they're not all in sync, I'm happy
with having that pointed out to me. But if I think about it and decide
I want to push just one without first resyncing all the rest, I want a
way to do that. Looks like git push origin <branch> is the ticket for
that. If I made it default to that, I'd be worried about forgetting to
push some branches when I was trying to do a multi-branch update.