database speed

From: "Chris Stokes" <ChrisS(at)BassSoftware(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: database speed
Date: 2003-10-31 00:54:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

WE currently use PG for the local database on our POS workstations in shops. Data is then extracted and sent back to head office. Also product updates etc are regularly sent to the shops. I have noticed over time that the shop PG databases get slower and slower. If I do a pg_dump, recreate the database and then restore the data - all speed problems are gone and the database folder shrinks in size substantially.

From this information could anyone tell me what are the likely causes and what we may or may not be doing in our extractions and updates that are not good PG insert, update, delete procedures

Thanks

Chris Stokes
Senior Systems Consultant
Bass Software

Phone: +61 3 8415 9305 (Direct)
Fax: +61 3 9427 1752
Mobile: +61 409 851 447

chriss(at)basssoftware(dot)com <mailto:chriss(at)basssoftware(dot)com>
www.basssoftware.com <http://www.basssoftware.com/>

Level 5 534 Church Street
Richmond, Victoria, 3121, Australia