Re: Development schedule

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Development schedule
Date: 2005-02-25 19:34:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
>>> I thought we were trying to get away from a midsummer feature freeze, due to
>>> the general lack of personnel in that season?

> I concur with Josh on this ... that kinda wastes the 'two months of
> summer' when ppl are really sporatically around, so no really testing will
> get done ... I'd rather see a Sept 1st feature freeze, once most ppl are
> back from holidays and are a bit more steady ... it means those working on
> the big features have a few extra months to hammer out the kinks, and
> those testing are a bit more 'consistent/focused' then they are when they
> are planning, or on, holidays ;)

The thing is, if we target feature freeze for September then I think
there is 0 chance of the 8.1 cycle being less than a year -- even with
a fairly short feature freeze and beta cycle you're getting into
December unless there are no slips at all. And we tried and failed to
release in December this last time; it's got the same
people-aren't-paying-attention problem as the summer.

If this were an ordinary devel cycle then I'd be fine with it running a
year, but I think we really do need to plan for a shorter than normal
cycle so we can clean up 8.0 kinks in a reasonably timely fashion.

Also, I'm unconvinced that we can't do post-feature-freeze cleanup
during the summer. If we have say a beta2 by the time September
comes, then people returning from vacation will have something to
beat on, and I think it will go well.