Help with PostgreSql and OID missmatches when restoring database with lobs

From: Julio Tavares <julioalcantarabr(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help with PostgreSql and OID missmatches when restoring database with lobs
Date: 2009-03-13 13:43:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello,

We work in an institution for teaching and research and
we have a medium database using PostgreSQL, with around 290GB, where
most of the data refers to binary files (blobs).

Initially, I wonder if we can exchange information about the database
with respect to postgresql missmatches OIDs when restoring a database.

We are very apreensive with the following scenario:

First of all, the basics about our version:

We use PostgreSql 8.0.3 running in a red hat el 4 linux server.

The backups were generated using the following parameters:
pg_dump -U postgres -b -Fc -v -f /backup.dmp pgprd 2>>backup_pg.log >>backup_pg.log

The backups were restored using the following parameters:
pg_restore -U postgres -d pgprd -Fc -v "restore_20090228.dmp" 2>>/restore_pg.log >>/restore_pg.log

The restore process was perfect. Zero erros inside the log.

So,
we are experiencing a serious problem in a restoration of our
production database. This is the same problem reported on the link:
http://bytes.com/groups/postgresql/400042-pg_largeobject-oid-mistmach-after-restore
. This is the main reason why i am writing this email.

When we restore the backup, the blobs of objects that are stored in the database
are not corresponding to the files for which they should be pointing.

For
example: when trying to restore a file called "abcd.doc", the contents
that the database is returned corresponds to the file "efgh.doc".
The
data returned is perfect, i mean, the data returned is fully
functional, but it does not corresponds to the requested file
"abcd.doc". So, it does not point to the correct files / blobs.  We are
troubleshooting this urgent OID/LOID problem.

For example: If i
try to get the blob of the file "test.doc" it always brings to me the
contents of another file, like "research.pdf".

Does anyone managed to resolve this situation?

We appreciate it if you can meet us and exchange information on this situation.
Is you need any information (logs, versions, details , ......), pleas just ask us, ok?

It would be very important if you can give us this feedback.

Thank you!

Regards,
Julio
Alcantara