Re: Beta 10 parser error for CREATE STATISTICS IF NOT EXISTS

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beta 10 parser error for CREATE STATISTICS IF NOT EXISTS
Date: 2017-06-21 01:15:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 2017/06/21 9:42, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I'm not seeing an obvious error in my attempt to use CREATE STATISTICS IF
> NOT EXISTS. Given this is new, maybe there is a bug in the parser.
>
> Sample output:
> psql (10beta1)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> o365logs=# select version();
>
> version
>
> ----------------------------
> PostgreSQL 10beta1 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5
> 20150623
> (Red Hat 4.8.5-11), 64-bit
> (1 row)
>
> o365logs=# CREATE STATISTICS IF NOT EXISTS logs_corrtest (dependencies) ON
> record_type, operation FROM logs;
> ERROR: syntax error at or near "NOT"
> LINE 1: CREATE STATISTICS IF NOT EXISTS logs_corrtest (dependencies)...

Looks like a documentation bug if the authors of the feature actually
meant to implement the following syntax:

CREATE [ IF NOT EXISTS ] STATISTICS

create if not exists statistics words_stats on a, b from words;
CREATE STATISTICS

create if not exists statistics words_stats on a, b from words;
NOTICE: statistics object "words_stats" already exists, skipping
CREATE STATISTICS

If that's really what's intended, it seems a bit inconsistent with most
other commands and with DROP STATISTICS [ IF NOT EXISTS ] itself.

Thanks,
Amit