Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1
Date: 2008-03-12 14:46:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mar 12, 2008, at 2:43 AM, sathiya psql wrote:

> My question is that how to migrate my database to 7.4 to 8.1
>

> that is not only dumping the db and extracting that in 8.1 ..
>
> If i do that whether it will work without problem, or i have to do
> some manual changes is my question...

the pg dump/restore should work without issue. you might not get all
the relations of which sequence is "owned" by which table, and similar
for foreign keys, but you may not miss that much.

then, review *every* SQL query you run and make sure it runs against
8.1. things that will trap you are treating strings as integers in
certain cases. most everything else should just work. you will also
want to review the performance of each query.

you can find a detailed list of changes to the DB in the release notes
file that comes with every release.

finally, this is not really a performance issue, so perhaps the pg-
general list would have been better to ask your question.