Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Predefined role pg_maintenance for VACUUM, ANALYZE, CHECKPOINT.
Date: 2021-10-25 21:12:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 24, 2021, at 7:49 AM, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> At this point, the idea of having a new role for maintenance work
> looks good. With this patch and Mark Dilger's patch introducing a
> bunch of new predefined roles, one concern is that we might reach to a
> state where we will have patches being proposed for new predefined
> roles for every database activity and the superuser eventually will
> have nothing to do in the database, it just becomes dummy?
>
> I'm not sure if Mark Dilger's patch on new predefined roles has a
> suitable/same role that we can use here.

If you refer to the ALTER SYSTEM SET patches, which I agree introduce a number of new predefined roles, it may interest you that Andrew has requested that I rework that patch set. In particular, he would like me to implement a new system of grants whereby the authority to ALTER SYSTEM SET can be granted per GUC rather than having predefined roles which hardcoded privileges.

I have not withdrawn the ALTER SYSTEM SET patches yet, as I don't know if Andrew's proposal can be made to work, but I wouldn't recommend tying this pg_maintenance idea to that set.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company