Re: Feature: Use DNS SRV records for connecting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Feike Steenbergen <feikesteenbergen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Feature: Use DNS SRV records for connecting
Date: 2019-08-13 14:43:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Feike Steenbergen <feikesteenbergen(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'd like to get some feedback on whether or not implementing a DNS SRV feature
> for connecting to PostgreSQL would be desirable/useful.

How would we get at that data without writing our own DNS client?
(AFAIK, our existing DNS interactions are all handled by getnameinfo()
or other library-supplied functions.)

Maybe that'd be worth doing, but it sounds like a lot of work and a
lot of new code to maintain, relative to the value of the feature.