Re: Tracking of page changes for backup purposes. PTRACK [POC]

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tracking of page changes for backup purposes. PTRACK [POC]
Date: 2017-12-20 20:45:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/20/2017 09:29 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>>:

> >> I agree.  I think (4) is better.
> >
> > Can depends on load? For smaller intensive updated databases the 5 can be
> > optimal, for large less updated databases the 4 can be better.
>
> It seems to me that the difference is that (4) tracks which pages have
> changed in the background, and (5) does it in the foreground.  Why
> would we want the latter?
>

> Isn't more effective hold this info in Postgres than in backup sw?
> Then any backup sw can use this implementation.

I don't think it means it can't be implemented in Postgres, but does it
need to be done in backend?

For example, it might be a command-line tool similar to pg_waldump,
which processes WAL segments and outputs list of modified blocks,
possibly with the matching LSN. Or perhaps something like pg_receivewal,
doing that in streaming mode.

This part of the solution can still be part of PostgreSQL codebase, and
the rest has to be part of backup solution anyway.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com