Re: BUG #5443: Undetected deadlock situation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: claudio(at)livra(dot)com
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5443: Undetected deadlock situation
Date: 2010-06-03 17:42:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Claudio Freire <claudio(at)livra(dot)com> writes:
> What I did do is analyze server load during the events, and as I
> suspected, disk activity during the "deadlocks" seems to suggest a
> vacuuming taking place. Although there was no autovacuum entry in
> pg_stat_activity every time I checked, disk activity precisely matches
> the case when autovacuum decides to vacuum a big table.

[ shrug... ] If autovacuum isn't shown in pg_stat_activity then it's
pretty hard to credit that there was an autovacuum going on. Moreover,
if there *was* an undetected deadlock that autovacuum was somehow
involved in, then the autovacuum would be blocked too so it's hardly
possible that you'd miss seeing it in pg_stat_activity.

> That's about as much information I can give. We've worked around the
> issue successfully and it hasn't happened since. Even if it is not a
> proper deadlock, the performance drop is unacceptable. I've done massive
> updates before, and that performance drop was not expected (more than
> one day for updating 30k rows on a table with a couple indices).

I'm afraid we're not going to be able to do much with this report
if you can't provide a reproduction scenario.