Re: PostgreSQL on CoLinux

From: "Stijn Vanroye" <s(dot)vanroye(at)Farcourier(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Vitaly Belman" <vitalib(at)012(dot)net(dot)il>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on CoLinux
Date: 2004-06-01 08:22:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello Vitaly,

First off, I'm a bit of a linux newbie so I'm not so sure if I get everything correct.

Next I'm not sure how far your knowledge goes and what it is exactly you don't understand, but here goes:
Apt-get is a sort of a update/install tool. It uses ftp-sites to download and install all sorts of software. The lists of the sites are stored in some textfiles which you can edit. I added a site there at the advice of Collin which contains version 7.4.1.
I abandoned the install from source in favour of an apt-get installantion. Next to installing it with apt-get I didn't have to configure much anymore, even the initdb had been done I believe.

However, I ran into some problems on my workstation so I lost both the configured partion I had for coLinux, as well as e-mail I had from Collin containing the information. Following Murphy's Law, none of the two were on any of my backups. So I'm afraid I can't be of more help than this. I hope that some of the more advanced linux users (or maybe collin again) can post a little more info on the subject.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vanroye