Re: many copies of atooid() and oid_cmp()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: many copies of atooid() and oid_cmp()
Date: 2017-01-12 04:25:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> There are approximately 11 copies of atooid() and 3 of oid_cmp() or
> equivalent, and pending patches are proposing to add more. I propose
> these two patches to collect them in central places.

+1 for the concept, but I'm a bit worried about putting atooid() in
postgres_ext.h. That's going to impose on the namespace of libpq-using
applications, for instance. A more conservative answer would be to
add it to c.h. OTOH, postgres_ext.h is where the Oid typedef lives,
so I do see the consistency of adding this there. Hard choice.

The oid_cmp() move looks fine if we only need it on the server side.
But doesn't pg_dump have one too?