could not create IPv6 socket when starting Postgres server

From: Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: could not create IPv6 socket when starting Postgres server
Date: 2007-08-29 19:10:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

A new Postgres server 8.2.4 was installed on an IRIX platform, but I was unable to bring up the Postgres server clean.

When using postmaster to start the server, the server is up but with the IPv6 error.

when using "pg_ctl start" to start the server, the Postgres server won't come up at all.

How do I get right of this IPV6 error and start the server clean. Besides, I want to be able to start the server with pg_ctl. I have been staring psotgres with pg_ctl for a long time on other machines.

If there anything that our system administrator can do to help me get rid of this IPv6 error? We have other Irix machines running Postgres, I starting Postgres fine on them.

Thanks,
Jessica

postmaster -D /pg_data/data
LOG: could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by protocol family
LOG: could not create socket for statistics collector: Address family not supported by protocol family
LOG: trying another address for the statistics collector
LOG: database system was shut down at 2007-08-28 13:16:31 EDT
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/4866C8
LOG: redo record is at 0/4866C8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 0/593; next OID: 10820
LOG: next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
LOG: database system is ready