Re: fgets failure in Solaris after patching

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stephan, Richard" <RStephan(at)nyiso(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fgets failure in Solaris after patching
Date: 2012-07-27 17:21:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Stephan, Richard" <RStephan(at)nyiso(dot)com> writes:
> Rebuilt the PostgreSQL server software because we were patching up from 9.0.4 to 9.0.8. Deployed software and received the following error when trying to restart server.
> fgets failure: Error 0
> The program postgres is needed by pg_ctl but was not found in the same directory as pg_ctl

Is that a verbatim copy of the error message? When I try intentionally
provoking this type of failure (by renaming the postgres executable out
of the way), 9.0 pg_ctl gives me this:

$ pg_ctl start
The program "postgres" is needed by pg_ctl but was not found in the
same directory as "/home/tgl/version90/bin/pg_ctl".
Check your installation.
$

The lack of double quotes and the lack of a full path to the pg_ctl
program make me wonder if you're running some really old copy of
pg_ctl instead of the 9.0 version as intended.

Anyway, if you didn't copy-and-paste exactly, what the error indicates
is that pg_ctl tried to execute "postgres -V" and didn't get any output.
What happens when you try that directly?