Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library
Date: 2022-07-22 19:26:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 03:00:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Shouldn't you be doing this when the source is PGC_S_TEST, instead?

> That makes sense, but it doesn't work for ALTER SYSTEM, which uses PGC_S_FILE.

Hmph. I wonder if we shouldn't change that, because it's a lie.
The value isn't actually coming from the config file, at least
not yet.

We might need to invent a separate PGC_S_TEST_FILE value; or maybe it'd
be better to pass the "this is a test" flag separately? But that'd
require changing the signature of all GUC check hooks, so probably
it's unduly invasive. I'm not sure whether any users of the TEST
capability need to distinguish values proposed for postgresql.auto.conf
from those proposed for pg_db_role_setting ... but I guess it's
plausible that somebody might.