Re: Server not listening

From: "Joris Dobbelsteen" <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>
To: "George Heller" <george(dot)heller(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server not listening
Date: 2007-04-25 19:09:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Adding SSH makes the mix makes it all slightly more complicated. Now let
us first find where its going wrong:

If I scan the previous e-mails I come up with the following (please
correct me if I'm wrong!!!):

1.
Your postgresql server (linux) and client (XP) are on different
machines.
2.
The server and client are on different subnets, meaning there
must be at least one router inbetween.

On the server (Linux):

*
The server is actually running (the 'ps' output gives this
evidence).
*
On the server you can connect to 5432 port on the remote IP.
This gives the evidence that the postgresql server is listening
here.
*
Which Linux distribution you happen to use?

On the client (XP):

*
It cannot connect to the postgresql server.
*
The firewall is disabled (though the WIndows Firewall does not
block outgoing connections).

Intermediate systems:

* The MUST exist (since server and client are not in the same
subnet). But no information is known about these.
* There is a working path between the client and server (since we
can do some things).
* Not under George its control(?)
Seems this way, not sure, may, or may not, be important...

Please ensure the above assertions are valid, they are important for
diagnosing where the problem is.
I think the next best step is to identify what your network looks like:

On the XP machine execute the following two commands in the DOS prompt:
"ipconfig /all"
"tracert <postgresql server>"
"telnet <postgresql server> 5432"
(How fast do you get a response, within ~5 seconds or it takes
longer?)

On the XP machine, see if you have any firewall installed. This is
current a great pain in several situations. Other software that might
interfere is:

* Network Associates McAfee Virus scanner (8.0 and onward)
* Network Associates McAfee Firewall
* Symantic Internet Security
* Kapersky
* ZoneLabs
* ...
* ...

On the Linux server:
"ifconfig"
"tracepath <client>"
"iptables -L"

On the linux server start the following while trying to connect:
"tcpdump port 5432"
For each test, include wheter you see no, few or a lot (more than a
screen) of packets. You should also see the word ack a lot of times.

I would really consider picking up one of the boxes and putting them on
the same subnet. This reduces the complexity caused by the intermediate
systems and might reduce the problem to the intermeidate systems only.
Alternatively pick any box on the server its network and do a telnet to
<postgresql server> at port 5432. If this works, the problem is most
likely in the intermediate systems (or client).

Also try it from your own client at its current location. Ensure that
during tries the tcpdump tool is running.

Hopefully this leads us a little closer to finding the actual problem.
I have the strong feeling that either the server has the firewall
configured or, more likely, that any intermediate system doesn't forward
this traffic.

- Joris Dobbelsteen