Re: location of the configuration files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Coxall <coxall(at)cream(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-14 15:35:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Martin Coxall <coxall(at)cream(dot)org> writes:
> Partially true. The FHS specifies that the /etc top layer is for system-own3d
> stuff, but the subdirectories off it are explicitly used for user space programs
> and, well, everything. (/etc/apache, /etc/postgres, /etc/tomcat3,
> /etc/tomcat4...)

FHS or no FHS, I would think that the preferred arrangement would be to
keep Postgres' config files in a postgres-owned subdirectory, not
directly in /etc. That way you need not be root to edit them. (My idea
of an editor, Emacs, always wants to write a backup file, so I dislike
having to edit files that live in directories I can't write.)

Here's a pretty topic for a flamewar: should it be /etc/postgres/ or
/etc/postgresql/ ?