Re: libplperl.so and libperl.so

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libplperl.so and libperl.so
Date: 2004-11-17 05:24:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com> writes:
> On 2004-11-16, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> [ thinks ... ] OK, so the problem case is where perl was built with a
>> different compiler than we're building PG with,

> Which is a non-starter in any event - you can't reliably embed perl into a
> program that's compiled with a different compiler than perl was,

It's always worked for me on my standard test platform (HPUX, vendor's
cc versus gcc) and if you plan to break it you'd better have a darn
good reason why.

>> Where would he get it from, then? We did talk about providing macros
>> for more flexible specification of rpath, so we can fix the problem if
>> we can get the Perl library path, but I'm unsure where to learn that.

> Oddly enough, that's what ccdlflags is for. So you'd end up removing that
> info from ldopts only to add it back... which seems somewhat pointless to
> me.

No, ccdlflags is some random compiler flags that might or might not
contain an rpath spec, and even if they do it's not clear how to extract
the actual path therefrom...