Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Stephen Harris" <lists(at)spuddy(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3
Date: 2006-11-20 16:30:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> I haven't really been folliowing this thread. What exactly is it you
> want to accomplish (maybe there is a different way to fix it on win32)?
> Kill a process along with all it's subprocesses?

Right. The problem (as seen on Unix) is that if the recovery subprocess
is waiting for a recovery_command script to complete, it doesn't react
to SIGQUIT (because system() ignores SIGQUIT) and the script doesn't
react either (because it never gets the signal at all). We'd like
"pg_ctl stop -m immediate" to abort the script and then have the
recovery process fail, allowing restart later. More generally, it
seems like any time a backend is executing system(), the called script
ought to be subject to SIGINT or SIGQUIT signals sent to the backend
by the postmaster.