Re: Tablespace OID, database OID, relfilenode

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Wiwwo Staff <wiwwo(at)wiwwo(dot)com>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespace OID, database OID, relfilenode
Date: 2023-01-18 05:27:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/17/23 11:49, Wiwwo Staff wrote:
> Thank you Adrian, thank you David!
> So, it turns out, it *is* indeed an arbitrary constant...
> I have been answered many times RTFM, it is actually the first time I
> have being answered RTF source code.
> (I searched for 1663 in PG docs, it is there, although not really
> "intuitive").
>
> Allow me to humbly propose to maybe at least write somewhere in the DOCs
> in a clear way: "This is a number you should know, and it is arbitrary,
> and in some functions it will be represented as 'base'  ".
> It is fundamental to know this when one uses pg_waldump, for example.
>
> Not to start a flame war here, just humbly proposing...

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/storage-file-layout.html

"The pg_default tablespace is not accessed through pg_tblspc, but
corresponds to PGDATA/base. Similarly, the pg_global tablespace is not
accessed through pg_tblspc, but corresponds to PGDATA/global."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com