Re: Hot standby, recent changes

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby, recent changes
Date: 2009-12-06 22:39:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 6 déc. 2009 à 23:26, Robert Haas a écrit :
>>> Consider this scenario:
>>>
>>> 0. You have a master and a standby configured properly, and up and running.
>>> 1. You shut down master for some reason.
>>> 2. You restart standby. For some reason. Maybe by accident, or you want
>>> to upgrade minor version or whatever.
>>> 3. Standby won't accept connections until the master is started too.
>>> Admin says "WTF?"
>>
>> I would rather document it as a known caveat and be done.

+1

> For what it's worth, this doesn't seem particularly unlikely or
> unusual to me.

I'm sorry to have to disagree here. Shutting down the master in my book means you're upgrading it, minor or major or the box under it. It's not a frequent event. More frequent than a crash but still.

Now the master is offline, you have a standby, and you're restarting it too, but you don't mean that as a switchover. I'm with Simon here, the WTF is "are you in search of trouble?" more than anything else. I don't think shutting down the standby while the master is offline is considered as a good practice if your goal is HA...

Regards,
--
dim