Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CVS changes
Date: 2001-10-02 05:55:45
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

>> Since when doe sa doc build, or docs of any kind, hold up beta? docs are
>> 'fluid' up until a week before release,as they have always been ...

> Tom said we shouldn't go beta without the docs building.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to me or Lockhart, but if the
former: I don't say that we must have a working automatic build
process (though it's surely a high priority). What I do say is that
we must have a reasonably up-to-date version of the development docs
posted at the canonical place for same. Else, beta testers will not
know what to test, and so the whole notion of a beta test period is
rendered meaningless.

If the docs situation were the only thing holding up beta, I'd say
do a manual build and install and get on with it. But it seems we
have some other problems too, so Marc and Vince have some breathing
room to finish fixing the server configuration issues...