Re: 8.2 planning features

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: satoshi nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.2 planning features
Date: 2006-03-21 23:46:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

satoshi nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> I and Teodor are going to give a talk on conference "Corporate database
>> systems-2006" here in Moscow and we need info about new features planned
>> in 8.2 release. Bruce, do you have a list of them ?

> Refer to the Josh's past talk, "PostgreSQL Directions 8.1 and beyond".
> MP3 and materials of are available:

> http://www.postgresql.jp/misc/seminar/2006-02-17_18/materials/01_Josh_Berkus.pdf
> http://www.postgresql.jp/misc/seminar/2006-02-17_18/materials/01_Josh_Berkus.mp3

BTW, pretty pictures such as Josh draws in the above talk should not be
confused with reality ;-). The reality of this project is that *there
is no overall plan*. Individual developers work on what they choose to.
It's true that at the moment there seem to be quite a number of people
focusing on performance in enterprise-size applications, but that's not
because there's any central plan saying that that's what we're doing.

In particular, asking for a list of features that will be done in
particular future releases shows a complete lack of understanding
of the process ...