Re: Locale support is now on by default

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date: 2002-04-03 06:04:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The determination of locale is now done as follows:

> initdb --lc-collate, initdb --locale, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LANG
> initdb --no-locale is the same as initdb --locale=C, for convenience.

I'm confused; what is the default behavior if you don't give any
switches to initdb?

BTW, something that's been bothering me for awhile is that the notice
we stuck into the backend a couple versions back (about "this locale
disables LIKE optimizations") is being hidden by initdb, because you
decided recently that it was okay to route all the backend's commentary
to /dev/null so as to hide xlog.c's startup chattiness. I don't object
to getting rid of that chattiness, but 2>/dev/null is throwing the baby
out with the bathwater (consider outright failure messages, for instance).

It might be that Bruce's recent changes to elog levels allow a graceful
compromise about backend messages during initdb. I haven't looked, but
maybe initdb could run the backend with message level one notch higher
than LOG to suppress all the normal-case messages without masking not-
so-normal cases.