Re: BUG #5661: The character encoding in logfile is confusing.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: tkbysh2000(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5661: The character encoding in logfile is confusing.
Date: 2010-09-19 19:10:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Yes, the mismatched encodings in the data are clear and obvious.

> Given that the messages are coming purely from postgresql, not client
> code, I'm now wondering if what we're dealing with is mismatched
> encodings in the translation files, where some messages were translated
> with a different encoding to other messages.

The examples you give don't seem to support that idea. I don't read
Japanese, but at least these cases look like they are all UTF8 as
expected in the .po files.

> One of the correctly encoded messages is "Unexpected EOF received on
> client connection"

> One of the incorrectly encoded (shift-JIS) messages is: "Fast Shutdown
> request received". Another is "Aborting any active transactions".

> ... question now is where the messages are converted from UTF-8 to shift-JIS
> and why that conversion is being applied inconsistently.

Given those three examples, I wonder whether all the mis-encoded
messages are emitted by the postmaster, rather than backends.
Anyway it seems that you ought to look for some pattern in which
messages are correctly vs incorrectly encoded.