Re: Trouble connecting to database using PQconnectdb (C/libpq)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Alpers <joel(at)jkalpers(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble connecting to database using PQconnectdb (C/libpq)
Date: 2010-01-16 22:54:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Joel Alpers <joel(at)jkalpers(dot)com> writes:
> New system: Fedora 11, PostgreSQL 8.4

Fedora 11 enables selinux by default ...

> *** Error - Can't connect to database "photodb" - could not connect to server: Permission denied
> Is the server running on host "192.168.111.7" and accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Almost certainly, this represents selinux thinking that apache shouldn't
be making connections to random ports, and denying the socket open long
before it ever has a chance to get to postgres.

If you poke around in the selinux configuration options you can probably
find a switch that opens this up, but I don't know offhand what it is.

Or you could disable selinux, but if you're running a publicly visible
webserver I'd strongly recommend against that. selinux will save your
bacon someday, but not if it's turned off.