Re: Creating a tablespace directory in recovery

From: Flavio Henrique Araque Gurgel <flavio(at)4linux(dot)com(dot)br>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating a tablespace directory in recovery
Date: 2009-05-01 19:06:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

----- "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> escreveu:
> IMO, it's not so dangerous that postgres creates the directories,
> which doesn't overwrite or remove any existing data. So, I thought
> that it's worth writing the patch to create a tablespace directory
> in recovery. Is this the right direction? Or, we should completely
> forbid the auto-creation of directories outside $PGDATA?

I don't think it's a good idea to create directories automatically at all.
Considering that the greatest benefit of using tablespaces is to move tables and indexes that have high concurrency to different disk partitions or controllers, creating directories (and mounting devices) for tablespaces should be a manual process.

Flavio