RE: libpq debug log

From: "Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Ramanarayana' <raam(dot)soft(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Jim Doty <jdoty(at)pivotal(dot)io>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp" <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: RE: libpq debug log
Date: 2019-02-21 07:56:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Ramanarayana,

Thank you for your review and suggestion. Please see the attached updated patch.

> Issues found while testing
>1) If invalid value is given to PGLOGMINLEVEL, empty log file is created which should not happen.
Thank you for your test. However in my dev environment, empty log file is not created.
Could you explain more detail about 1)? I will check it again.

>2) If log file size exceeds the value configured in PGLOGSIZE, new log file is not getting created.
About 2) (and may be 1) ), perhaps is this something like that?

There are my mistake about first line information of created log file
"The maximum size of this log is %s *Bytes*, the parameter 'logminlevel' is set to %s\n".
- Maximum size is not bytes but megabytes.
- Display logminlevel which set by user. Internally, an invalid value is not set to logminlevel.

So trust the created log file first line info, if you set PGLOGSIZE=1000 as the meaning of "set maximum log size to 1000 Bytes",
a new file was not created even if it exceeds 1000 bytes.
If it is correct, I fixed the comment to output internal setting log maximum size and user setting value.

And if you set PGLOGMINLEVEL to invalid value (ex. "aaa"), it is not set to the parameter; The default value (level1) is set internally.
I fixed first line comment to output notification " if invalid value, level1(default) is set".

>3) If PGLOGSIZE is greater than 2048 bytes, log file is not created. Is this expected behavior?
Yes. I limit log file size.

>4) In the log file, an extra new line is present whenever the query is printed. Is this intentional?
Thank you, I fixed.

>5)Documentation for this feature is having grammatical errors and some spelling errors which can be looked into.
Thank you. I am checking my documentation now. I will fix it.

> Feedback in the code
Thank you. I fixed my code issue.

> Suggestions
I'll consider that...
Could you explain more about the idea?

Regards,
Aya Iwata

Attachment Content-Type Size
v7-0001-libpq-trace-log.patch application/octet-stream 25.5 KB