Something like pg_dump for 7.4

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Something like pg_dump for 7.4
Date: 2006-02-17 05:11:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to migrate a modest sized database (the unload file is just under a gigabyte) which is moderately complex, using schemas and the like from 7.4 to 8.1

Alas, pg_dump appears to incompatable with my needs as it keeps introducing invalid UTF-8 characters.

I have gone back and changed the offending data rows with SQL to make damned sure there are no illegal characters. I redump, compress the thing, scp it and try to reload. Same error every time:
psql:glacier_load.sql:1017: ERROR: invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0x96
CONTEXT: COPY clients, line 1751, column client_name: "XYZ Media AB&E"
psql:glacier_load.sql:3019: ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

See that double space after "Media" ? That's actually a single space, a dash, and another space: "XYZ Media - AB&E", but every export turns it into:
XYZ Media <96> AB&E

Is there any way to do this ? I can't edit the resulting dump file by hand -- it's huge. And pg_dump on 7.4 does not know how to a table inside a schema -- it seems to be all or nothing.

TIA,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC