Re: is this a bug or I am blind?

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: "Mage" <mage(at)mage(dot)hu>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date: 2005-12-15 15:02:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Well, then I have the disease. The database is UNICODE:
gex_runtime=# select gex_clientname from gex_clients where gex_clientname = 'HomeHappinesses';
gex_clientname
HomeGain
(1 row)

gex_runtime=# select gex_clientname from gex_clients where gex_clientname like 'HomeHappinesses';
gex_clientname
----------------
(0 rows)

> Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
> >
> > I am puzzled by the lack of a "%" in the LIKE query. When I try this on
> > postgres 7.4 and 8.0 I get no rows when I am missing it; including it
> > works as expected.
> >
> > The names have been changed to protect the guilty ;-} but the core of it
> > is true -- no "%" means wierdnesses, I think.
> >
> > gex_runtime=# select gex_clientname from gex_clients where gex_clientname like 'Home';
> > gex_clientname
> > ----------------
> > (0 rows)
> >
> > gex_runtime=# select gex_clientname from gex_clients where gex_clientname like 'Home%';
> > gex_clientname
> > HomeHappinesses
> > HomeMorgageValues, Inc.
> > (2 rows)
> >
> > Could you try your query again with the wild card ?
>
> But "like" without any wildcards should be the same as "=", but it isn't
> in the original post.

Well then I have the same behavior -- the database is UNICODE:

gex_runtime=# select gex_clientname from gex_clients where gex_clientname = 'HomeHappinesses';
gex_clientname
HomeHappinesses
(1 row)

gex_runtime=# select gex_clientname from gex_clients where gex_clientname like 'HomeHappinesses';
gex_clientname
(0 rows)

An "=" is not equivalent to LIKE with no wildcard.

I never really thought of this as a bug, but if it is ... ring one up for Mage as a good catch.