Re: Cancel query based on a timeout

From: "Stijn Vanroye" <s(dot)vanroye(at)farcourier(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Carl E(dot) McMillin" <carlymac(at)earthlink(dot)net>, "Roy Janssen" <r(dot)janssen(at)farcourier(dot)com>, "Hassanein Altememy" <h(dot)altememy(at)farcourier(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Cancel query based on a timeout
Date: 2004-05-11 07:24:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Also Hi,

> We are working on a similar problem - timeouts of
> long-running requests. We
> are also currently using 7.3.4 for Postgres, but we are using
> Java, JDBC,
> and PL/PGSql.
>
> Question: Does Delphi have structured exception-handling?
> The solution
> we've found requires the ability to descriminate between
> exception-types and
> the ability to catch and throw execeptions in a safe fashion.
> If Delphi
> does have SHE, then I think our solution could be mapped into
> Delphi without
> much trouble.
Delphi does indeed have some nice features for exception handling (and throwing).

> The solution we've come up with is to add a "waiting
> procedure" table to the
> database, along with some stored-procedures to manage the
> table. We call
> this the "waitingproc" subsystem.
>
> The "waitingproc" subsystem can then be used by client-side
> code (thru JDBC
> calls; ODBC should be able to handle the particular subset we
> are dealing
> with here) to detect when a server-side process overruns its
> alloted time.
> The client then has the option to abort the transaction
> and/or restart the
> server-side process.
When you give the client the option to abort and/or restart the server-side process, excactly how does you client do that? Is there a certain command, or do you use something inhereted in the transaction? You see, altough your solution seems to be a very usable and not to mention creative one, it might be a little much in our case, since we only have this problem in this one perticular case with one perticular query. By using threading we could let the client do the counting for the timeout, but we can't figure out how exactly you stop/reset a server-side proces (or query) from the client.

> Of course, the problem we are throwing the "waitingproc"
> subsystem at is not
> your problem, but I think some of the core
> concepts/procedures are usuable.
>
> Let me know if you'd like the Java and PL/PGSql source. The
> Java code is
> fairly extensive and is mixed in with other business-logic,
> but I can help
> you thru the rough parts.
I would very much like to thank you for your answer/help. It's one of the most extensive ones I've got so far :-).
Actually I'm not the one tackeling this problem, I'm just the one following the postgresql mailinglist, but I've forwarded your answer to the right people. But I think that a solution to the problem on how to stop a query from the client is going to be sufficiënt.

> Carl <|};-)>

Thanks very much,

Stijn Vanroye.