Re: drop support for v9.3 ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drop support for v9.3 ?
Date: 2022-07-01 13:50:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> Is it time to drop support for the oldest release ?
> As in cf0cab868 30e7c175b e469f0aaf c03b7f526 492046fa9

I'm not really in favor of moving that goalpost forward when
there's no concrete reason to do so. The amount of work involved
in a sweep for "what code can be removed" is more or less constant,
so that doing this in (say) three years will be much less work
than doing it every year because the calendar says to.

The reason we pushed up the minimum to 9.2 was that we found that
versions older than that don't build readily on modern toolchains.
I've not yet heard of similar bit-rot in 9.2 ... and when it does
happen it'll probably affect a number of branches at once.