Re: Link t the souce code

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link t the souce code
Date: 2021-07-21 18:51:38
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 2021-Jul-21, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm having qualms about recommending this in this particular spot,
>> rather than back in Appendix I. Seems like the wrong audience is
>> going to be reading this chapter.

> Well, we can remove that first paragraph from there and just refer the
> reader to the appendix ... something like this, perhaps.

+1, though I think you're short a </para> or so.

> The appendix already has instructions on cloning the repo. It doesn't
> say anything about branches though, but I'm not sure we want our docs to
> become a tutorial on Git. We already link to git-scm.com though that's
> not great; it doesn't explain our branch structure for example. We
> could do better.

Agreed that we're not here to teach people how to use git. But it'd
be worth explaining our branch naming conventions in that appendix.
It'd be sufficient I guess to mention "master" and "REL_n_STABLE";
by the time v15 sees the light of day, all the pre-v10 branches
will be EOL. (Maybe also explain the REL_m_n release tags?)