Re: Running several postmaster using same database in parallel

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steffen Schmidt <Steffen(dot)Schmidt(at)EMBL-Heidelberg(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running several postmaster using same database in parallel
Date: 2000-11-23 16:29:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Steffen Schmidt <Steffen(dot)Schmidt(at)EMBL-Heidelberg(dot)de> writes:
> I'am running several postmaster on different machines, accessing the
> same database in parallel. Is this a good idea? Do the postmaster lock
> each other or do they work independent?

You mean they are all sharing the same data files, using NFS or some
such? That is a horribly, horribly *bad* idea; I'm surprised you
have not already experienced catastrophic data corruption. Stop doing
it *at once*, or expect to suffer the consequences :-(

Performance over an NFS mount would be so awful that I don't really
see the point anyway. Forget the extra postmasters, and just run
one on the machine where the files actually are.

(BTW, what version are you running? I thought we had an interlock
to check for this sort of silliness --- although perhaps it would
fail to notice a postmaster that wasn't on the same machine ...)