Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql
Date: 2010-02-19 00:36:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 18, 2010, at 3:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> While hacking on PL/Parrot, I ran across an issue where when trying to
>> load PL/pgsql, it's done unconditionally and fails. How do we fix
>> pg_regress to be a little more subtle about this?
>
> Why exactly would we want it to not fail? Regression tests are not
> about papering over problems.

pg_regress needs to not install plpgsql into the data database on 9.0 when passed `--load-language=plpgsql`, because plpgsql will of course already be installed.

Unless you want all the third-party modules that depend on plpgsql for tests to somehow detect that they're going to run on 8.5a3 or later and not pass that option. But that'd be kind of a PITA. Much easier if pg_regress knows it doesn't need to install plpgsql.

Best,

David